Saurabh “Sam” Khawase
I’m Sam Khawase, a Software Engineer. I’m a multi-disciplined professional that helps companies ship great products. I primarily provide technical solutions to hard business problems, so that they can increase revenue and reduce costs. I have 15+ years of experience delivering mission critical systems using Java, Swift, Python and web technologies. I’ve lived on 3½ continents and worked with truly diverse teams with 20+ nationalities, working across different timezones.
Momox GmbH, Berlin, DE Lead Software Engineer Feb. 2021 - current
- In charge of the professional and disciplinary leadership of a group of 6 Data Engineers.
- In charge of the professional and disciplinary leadership of a group of 14 Mobile Developers.
- Responsible for fine tuning the hiring process, onboarding, coaching, and mentoring the team members.
- Contributed to the Diversity initiatives at the company to make Momox a truly inclusive place for people of diverse backgrounds.
- Leading the efforts to migrate the mission critical data warehousing infrastructure to Google Cloud from Amazon RedShift.
- Introduced a formal RFC based development model in the teams for better engineering decisions.
- Optimized the release management and CI and CD processes for mobile apps.
- Formalized the product teams in the conception of the software architecture.
- Instrumental in driving new topics forward and support in critical projects.
- Leading development of the technical vision and strategy with the members of the Tech council.
Iconmobile GmbH, Berlin, DE
Lead Software Engineer/Software Architect May. 2019 - February 2021
- Designed and engineered the architecture of the SalonLab App using state of the art design patterns like MVVM, and with extensive test coverage.
- Contributed to the architecture of mission critical SalonLab Cloud with scalable microservices using Nodejs, Python, Redis, kubernetes and Azure CosmosDB.
- Mobilised a cross-functional team of engineers to create a technical roadmap, vision, and strategy for the SalonLab App and Analyzer IoT Device.
- Envisioned the process in tandem with Henkel R&D team to integrate the Machine Learning prediction components into the SalonLab Cloud and the iPad app.
- Supervised the Hardware team to streamline the over-the-air Firmware update reducing delivery times by 50%.
- Spearheaded efforts to implement source control, continuous integration and peer-reviews using Gitlab, and Gitlab runners.
- Implemented best practices in software delivery based on SOLID, peer reviews, SwiftLint, and Jazzy.
- Streamlined the mobile app release schedule and implemented seamless continuous delivery using MS AppCenter, Fastlane and TestFlight.
- Formalized the QA process to test all the business critical features.
- Conceptualised and implemented the strategy to analyze and quantify various app and hardware related actionable KPIs.
- Led the recruitment efforts to build a team of stellar developers, both remote and on-site in Berlin.
- Lead efforts to create dashboards and reports to document release process across cross-functional teams like backend and Apps.
DE Integration Course, Volkshochschule, Berlin
(Oct. 2018 - Feb. 2019)
- Completed Deutsch Integrations Kurse for German B1 levels.
Vattenfall GmbH, Berlin, DE
Software Consultant April. 2018 - Sept. 2018
- Formalized and mapped large scale, and complex methodologies used in Power Purchase Agreements and Pricing Models across Vattenfall’s various divisions.
- Spearheaded efforts and ensured strong collaboration and communication across several company divisions and built consensus on product features.
- Engineered a KYC dashboard application to serve as a central portal for all KYC operations using AngularJS, Python Flask, PostgreSQL Docker and Azure .
- Implemented efficient data pipeline for various heterogeneous data sources, using Python, Pandas, Docker, and, Azure Kubernetes Service.
- Conceptualised and architected Feed-As-A-service to process PPA Pricing models using Python, Docker, and Azure Kubernetes Service.
- Implemented data pipeline to process Long term forecast data into internal Model Computing Platform using Python, Docker and Azure Kubernetes Service.
Storecast GmbH, Berlin, DE (Sr. Software Engineer - January 2017 to January 2018)
- Responsible for defining architecture for cross platform Juke apps, using UML diagrams.
- Designed and implemented Cross platform shared business logic in C++, enabling 75% code sharing between Android and iOS.
- Designed and implemented highly testable and modular iOS UI layer using Swift.
- Designed and Implemented secure cryptographic service to encrypt music tracks.
- Configured the the project build system to seamlessly build apps for Android and iOS using Conan, Carthage, and Gradle, improving build stability by 50%.
- Implemented Database layer using SQLite on C++, reducing code duplication by 80%.
- Integrated Google Chromecast SDK to enable streaming to Chromecast.
- Setup the continuous Integration and Delivery using Jenkins, TestFlight, HockeyApp improving QA and beta testing feedback.
- Mentored junior team members to navigate the complex cross-platform architecture.
- Implemented best practices in software delivery based on SOLID, peer reviews and SwiftLint.
Neofonie Mobile GmbH
(Sr. Software Engineer - August 2014 to December 2016)
- Developed cross platform app for Süddeutsche Zeitung using iOS, Xamarin, and Reactive Extensions.
- Designed and implemented the middleware service for processing real-time data from several newspaper feeds, using Azure, C#, MongoDB, Postgresql, and NancyFx.
- Created iOS SDK for Gigaset G-Tag iBeacon devices used in several mission critical applications.
- Configured the the project build systems to seamlessly build apps for Android and iOS using Python, Cocoapods, Carthage, and Gradle, improving project deliveries.
- Automated the task to prune stale git repositories, and branches using Python improving space by 30%.
- Created an MVP app for a region monitoring, geofencing app using Swift and iOS to be used in museums.
VisualMeta GmbH Berlin, DE
(Sr. Software Engineer - October 2012 to August. 2014)
- Developed the iOS and Windows Phone app for LadenZeile/ShopAlike available in 17 different markets.
- Implemented the RESTful API server serving JSON data to the app using Java/Spring.
- Implemented high speed HTTP cache using memcached, and varnish.
- Implemented in-app cache using Core Data resulting in blazing fast performance of the app.
- Iterated the app with interesting new features using BDD with KIF, Kiwi, and Calabash.
- Improved conversion rate using Google Analytics, Facebook SDK and custom tracking tool.
- Implemented Authentication and Authorization on both server and client side using OAuth.
- Designed and prototyped WebSocket + Protocol buffers based binary wire transfer protocol to drastically reduce bandwidth requirement.
Advanced Technologies Group, Des Moines, Iowa (Sr. Systems Engineer October 2011 - October 2012)
- Instrumental in requirements analysis and system design leading to low-latency, high-availability, mission critical system for Federal Bureau of Prisons.
- Inherited a legacy system and migrated it to have solid test coverage, integration tests, and stability.
- Migration of an application from legacy WebSphere to JBoss AS with 0% downtime.
- Developed a RESTFul Web Service as host and client for distributed message processing.
- Spearheaded the efforts in planning the migration of existing codebases from SVN to Git.
- Helped in migration of the build system from CruiseControl to Jenkins reducing build time by 40%.
- Mentored junior team members and helped setup peer review process to improve software quality.
Cognizant Technology Solutions, Des Moines, Iowa (Associate Projects January 2006-September 2011)
- Lead the team to develop warehouse application improving productivity and reducing backorders by 70%.
- Developed a Web based system to create reports from legacy systems and reducing the reporting failures by 85%.
- Designed and developed interfaces to external 3rd party applications (e.g PaymenTech, FedEx, UPS) improving system reliability.
- Architected and developed a system to seamlessly integrate logistics providers like CH Robinson.
- Modernized legacy systems, and Implemented new features for QSP Readers Digest.
- Lead the efforts to implement Business Continuity Process mitigating system downtime scenario.
- Implemented and designed secure file transfer application to allow communication between heterogeneous systems (Mainframes/AS400/Java/.Net applications).
Bachelor of Engineering (Computer Science 2001 - 2005)
Government College of Engineering, Amravati, India
Undergraduate Coursework: Computer Organization and Architecture. Algorithms, Software Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, Discreet Mathematical Structures, Operating Systems, Databases, Data Structures and Algorithms, Programming Languages, Engineering mathematics, Computer Networking.
- SalonLab : The Salonlab Smart Analyzer combines, for the first time, hairdresser expertise with data driven insights to provide a truly personalized consultation.
- Walkabout: Walkabout is an iOS app that fetches photos from Flickr whenever the user walks 100 meters. This app demonstrates the use of SwiftUI and CoreLocation in action.
- PostgREST+Auth0: Turn your Database into a smart RESTful API server with battle tested security!. A step-by-step tutorial to build a secure REST API using PostgREST is included.
- Project Juke: Juke is a cross-platform mobile app for eBooks, Music, and video for Juke.com. The UI layer is written in CocoaTouch, and Android SDK. The cross-platform core layer is written in C++ using Dropbox Djinni SDK. (Juke! Music | Juke! eBooks)
- Gigaset iOS SDK: The SDK is used to facilitate the development of apps for Gigaset GTag iBeacon devices. iOS, XCode, Objective C, CoreData, Magical Records, Mantle, Cocoapods, Kiwi. (Gigaset GTag App )
- Ich Nehm Ab iOS App: INA is a weight management app created using scientific algorithms and research. iOS, XCode, Objective C, CoreData, Magical Records, Mantle, Cocoapods, Kiwi. (App is now defunct)
- SZ cross Platform App: The SZ newsreader app was developed in Xamarin SDK using C# and MVMMCross. I also designed and developed the RESTFul API server using C#, NancyFX, and NoSQL DB on Azure cloud platform. (Neofonie Mobile Anchor platform and SZ Plus iOS App)
- Ladenzeile/ShopAlike app: Ladenzeile/ShopAlike is a top rated app in 17 different markets with 100000+ downloads. iOS, XCode, Objective C, Java EE, CoreData, Kiwi, Calabash, C#, XAML (Ladenzeile iOS App)
- Correction Intelligence Suite (2012). CIS provides a platform for correctional facilities to enter the intelligence data from correctional centres. Microsoft .Net, Windows Server, ASP.Net, MS SQL Server. (Offender Management Suite)
- Enhanced Quality Check system (2009 – 2011). Enhanced QC System is used in the warehouse to scan item shipments. Java EE, spring framework, Hibernate, IBM DB2, JBoss AS.
- QSP Reader’s Digest (2006 - 2009). QSP helps the school to raise funds. Magazine, Music and Book items are sold through this program. A percentage of the sales revenue is given to the school as its commission. IBM AS/400, RPG, DB2, IBM JDK, and IBM Websphere.
Primary Languages, Technologies and Tools (used last year):
- Swift, Python, Java, C, C++, C#
- Spring Boot, Swagger, REST, JPA, SQL, JUnit, Cucumber, OWASP
- Xcode, Intellij Idea, Android Studio, Git, Instruments, LLDB
- Maven, Gradle, Carthage, Conan, CMake, Make
- Jenkins CI, Github, Bitbucket, Carthage, Charles mitmproxy, Insomnia
- Facebook/Google analytics, Chromecast SDK, Airplay, CommonCrypto
- Functional Reactive Programming, SQLite, Cocoa Touch, Core Audio, AVFoundation.
- Wildlfy, Vagrant, Docker, Postgresql, Nginx
- Trello, Jira, Confluence.
- Android SDK, Gradle.
Auxiliary Languages, Technologies and Tools (used in past or on non-regular basis):
- Objective-C, Java, Xamarin, Kotlin.
- RaspberryPi, Raspbian
- Amazon AWS/Digital Ocean/Scaleway
- CoreData, iBeacons, Calabash, CoreBluetooth
- OpenStreetMap API
Backend Development technologies, and tools:
Java: Java EE, Spark framework, Swagger, JSP/Servlets, EJB3, Spring Boot, JPA, SQL, JSON, REST, PostgreSQL, Hibernate, JUnit
C#: .Net 4.6, .NET Core, NancyFx, LINQ, Azure cloud platform, Reactive extensions for .Net
Python: Flask, virtualenv, pip, SQLAlchemy
Others: Nginx, Docker, Vagrant, PostgreSQL, PostGIS, Jenkins
31de878 @ 2021-07-23